Wanted to end the year on a sweet note-and with a swirl! So my latest fave, the Meltingly Moist Chocolate Cupcake with Marshmallow Frosting- or to make it easier- the Cutest Chocolate Cupcake makes it to the top!
This recipe, nicked from the net & modified to suit, I think is the most easy & fun cupcake I have ever baked. The Marshmallow frosting adds a delicate & delicious finish, while making these little cupcakes cuter than they already are!
I love this little recipe so much coz all ingredients are usually lying around at home – no last minute treks to the shop required at all.
To make about 12 cupcakes , you’ll need:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, if using unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hung yogurt
All you have to do :
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a 12-cup regular muffin tin with paper liners.
- Into a bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; if adding, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, lastly beat in vanilla. I use a hand held electric whisk – so much easier!
- Switch to a spatula, adding flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the yogurt and beginning and ending with flour. Gently, mix the together, avoiding lumps.
- Spoon batter into cups, sure to fill each 3/4 full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then ice the cupcakes, if you like.
- For the Marshmallow Frosting:
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the heatproof bowl. Set over a saucepan with simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, takes about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Use an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment to beat the warm mixture, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form- this should take around 5 to 7 minutes. Finally add the vanilla and mix until combined. I added a touch of pink to half the frosting & mixed both into a piping bag.
- It’s recommended to frost the cupcakes immediately. The frosted cupcakes can be stored in the fridge, in airtight boxes for up to 3 day.