When you’ve got a bunch of heirloom tomatoes at home, it only right to do something really pretty with ’em! Chuck in a few Portobello mushrooms & chunks of smoked mozzarella…makes a gorgeous side dish! Rustic & soooo delicious, it’s gotta be a weekend fave!
I love how heirloom tomatoes look..especially with their little leaves & gorgeous shades!
- A medium bowl of small heirloom tomatoes, with the cute leaves on.
- 4-6 large garlic cloves
- 6-8 large Portobello mushrooms, cleaned & dried.
- Extra virgin olive oil, as much required.
- A spritz of good balsamic vinegar.
- A chunk of smoked mozzarella cheese.
- Salt & freshly cracked pepper.
- A few baby basil leaves.
Baked tomato & mushrooms..brunch time faves.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Lightly brush a baking tray with the olive oil. Scatter gently crushed garlic clove, still in their skin!
- Make gentle criss-cross insertions on the tops of the mushroom heads and add these, head down, on the greased tray. Squash a few tiny heirloom tomatoes on top of the mushrooms & scatter the rest around the tray. At this point, you could also stud a few mushrooms with whole garlic.
- Drizzle all with olive oil, salt & pepper. Spray on a glossy coat of balsamic vinegar.
- Lastly, with a knife, cut out little chunks of cheese & place on top of the mushrooms, scattering over the tomatoes & garlic as well!
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or till cheese is bubbly!
- Tear up a few basil leaves on top of the dish & serve immediately!
I love mine with a simple pasta & a glass of chilled white wine!!!!! Cheers!